Friday, December 18, 2009

SOMETIMES YOU GET LUCKY!

I was teaching one of my photo workshops, not long ago, and brought my group of students to Luna Parc, home of artist Ricky Boscorino. Now for those of you who’ve been to Luna Parc, you know, it is truly an amazing photographic experience! Well, I have been there many times but there are only a few times, we have seen the artist there and at work. Well, as luck would have it, Ricky was there, painting a portrait in his studio. Seeing an opportunity to make some great photos I squeezed off a few (or as many as I could reminding myself I was teaching & was not there to shoot) and brought my students in two at a time to capture the artist working. Before bringing them into Ricky’s studio, I explained what to expect, made some suggestions on possibly what they could do to get a great shot and of course, told them to be as unobtrusive as possible. I shot using a new camera for me, a Sony alpha900 with their Carl Zeiss 16-35mm f/2.8 zoom lens. I chose this lens because we were in very close quarters and I wanted to do an environmental portrait of Ricky painting, while one of the models (Matt) sat for this portrait. We also did not have much light. Really great camera and lens and I think it worked out well. I love the shot, but then again, I really like the artist and his work, and for me it is a very special shot.

Oh by the way, Ricky sent me a photo of the completed painting for those of you that would like to see it.painting & photo © Ricky Boscorino
To see some of Artist Ricky Boscorino’s work go to http://www.lunaparc.com

No comments:

Post a Comment