Monday, February 22, 2010

What Does it Take to Be A Great Model?

Photos © JoAnne Kalish

What does it take to be a great model? Well looks of course, a great figure, and a certain je ne sais quoi. But this is what it takes to make a great model and we can't all be models but most people can be photographed well once they feel comfortable.

I've learned over the years that some people just light up when you point a camera at them. These are the people that you get the best photographs of and I love working with them. For others it just takes a little time for them to get comfortable with you. No one really knows what to expect until they start working with you and the same goes for the photographer. The photographer's job is to make them comfortable and establish a level of confidence that you will make them look good. When I look through my camera after a short period of time, I can usually ascertain what works for that particular person and how to bring out the best in them. Needless to say, I love portraiture and the challenge of working with people.

I also need to mention, that before a session, I try to do a little research, so I know ahead of time, especially if we're shooting in the studio, what kind of lighting I need to use. This depends first on what the client's needs are, whether it be for a Magazine article, a corporate business portrait, or something for a model's portfolio. I also take into consideration things such as age, gender, and other factors such as complexion, whether they wear glasses and so on...

Here are some photographs of model Lucia Corvelli, one of those people who light up in front of the camera and who is a total pleasure to work with. Lucia is a Wilhelmina model, has her own Lingerie Line, and now even has her Law degree. Quite a few accomplishments for such a young woman.













No comments:

Post a Comment